2012年11月25日星期日

  You never disturb us

  "You never disturb us, cousin," said the smokers, while the readerstore themselves from the heroes of the bar-room and gutter longenough to nod affably to their guest.
  As Rose bent to warm her hands, one end of Archie's cigar stuckout of the ashes, smoking furiously and smelling strongly.
  "Oh, you bad boys, how could you do it, to-day of all days?" shesaid reproachfully.
  "Where's the harm?" asked Archie,moncler jackets women.
  "You know as well as I do; your mother doesn't like it, and it's abad habit, for it wastes money and does you no good.""Fiddlesticks! every man smokes, even Uncle Alec, whom youthink so perfect," began Charlie, in his teasing way.
  "No, he doesn't! He has given it up, and I know why," cried Roseeagerly.
  "Now I think of it, I haven't seen the old meerschaum since hecame home. Did he stop it on our account?" asked Archie.
  "Yes," and Rose told the little scene on the seashore in thecamping-out time.
  Archie seemed much impressed, and said manfully, "He won'thave done that in vain so far as I'm concerned. I don't care a pinabout smoking, so can give it up as easy as not, and I promise you Iwill. I only do it now and then for fun.""You too?" and Rose looked up at the bonny Prince, who neverlooked less bonny than at that moment, for he had resumed hiscigar just to torment her.
  Now Charlie cared as little as Archie about smoking, but it wouldnot do to yield too soon: so he shook his head, gave a great puff,and said loftily"You women are always asking us to give up harmless little thingsjust because you don't approve of them. How would you like it ifwe did the same by you, miss?""If I did harmful or silly things, I'd thank you for telling me ofthem, and I'd try to mend my ways," answered Rose heartily.
  "Well, now, we'll see if you mean what you say. I'll give upsmoking to please you, if you will give up something to pleaseme," said Prince, seeing a good chance to lord it over the weakervessel at small cost to himself.
  "I'll agree if it is as foolish as cigars.""Oh, it's ever so much sillier.""Then I promise; what is it?" and Rose quite trembled with anxietyto know which of her pet habits or possessions she must lose.
  "Give up your ear-rings," and Charlie laughed wickedly, sure thatshe would never hold to that bargain.
  Rose uttered a cry and clapped both hands to her ears where thegold rings hung.
  "Oh, Charlie, wouldn't anything else do as well? I've been throughso much teasing and trouble, I do want to enjoy my prettyear-rings, for I can wear them now.""Wear as many as you like, and I'll smoke in peace," returned thisbad boy.
  "Will nothing else satisfy you?" imploringly,fake uggs boots.
  "Nothing," sternly.
  Rose stood silent for a minute, thinking of something Aunt Jessieonce said "You have more influence over the boys than you know,fake montblanc pens;use it for their good,Designer Handbags, and I shall thank you all my life." Here was achance to do some good by sacrificing a little vanity of her own.
  She felt it was right to do it, yet found it very hard, and askedwistfully"Do you mean never wear them, Charlie?""Never, unless you want me to smoke.""I never do.""Then clinch the bargain."He had no idea she would do it, and was much surprised when shetook the dear rings from her ears, with a quick gesture, and heldthem out to him, saying, in a tone that made the colour come up tohis brown cheek, it was so full of sweet good will"I care more for my cousins than for my ear-rings, so I promise,and I'll keep my word.""For shame, Prince! let her wear her little danglers if she likes, anddon't bargain about doing what you know is right," cried Archie,coming out of his grove of newspapers with an indignant bounce.

没有评论:

发表评论